Saturday, August 24, 2013

Brewery Ommegang - Cooperstown, NY

Just East of Ithaca was Cooperstown, the location of Brewery Ommegang. Talk about being in the middle of no where...this place is hidden.  Just like Ithaca, the scenery is just gorgeous.  You won't have trouble parking since there is tons of it.  The building is massive, as you can see.  Once you go through the opening, you will find their gift shop and tasting room/restaurant behind it. From the looks of it, they do tours and have a tasting at the end of the tour.
-Since I don't really enjoy the tours, we went to the tasting room.  Sat at the bar as always and ordered our first flight.  They have about 6 or 7 of their own beers on tap, and then about 8 guest Belgian type beers on tap.  We did a mixture. 
-As for the Ommegang beers, we enjoyed them all.  My girlfriend being a Belgian beer fan she said it was the best place she has been.  We had the Witte it was smooth and nice and light, The Hennepin was both our least favorites..never a big fan of farmhouse ales, BPA which was really good and since my iPhone deleted my list I cannot recall the others however I will say I enjoyed them and I'm not even a Belgian beer fan.
-They have lots of original food, we split the frites which come with two sauces for dipping, and a ham and cheese crepe.  Never saw so many original types of crepes but I will say they were VERY good.  Alittle pricey, but the place was worth the drive (I would NOT go there in winter even though I bet the scenery would be amazing...unless you're a good driver).
-All in all a great visit, nice staff, big gift shop with lots of beer and original items for purchase.  It has limited hours so make sure to check them out ahead of time online...www.ommegang.com/‎

No comments:

Post a Comment