Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Hideout Brewing - Grand Rapids, MI

Now I have never said this about a brewery and probably never will again because I appreciate the art of a brewery...but this place SUCKED! Let me tell our tale...this was our third stop of the day.  It was tucked away in a corner, hence the name Hideout, we thought it was cool and original.  Once we walked in we got stares from just about everyone there as if we were aliens or something.  Now I remembered seeing online they have quite possibly the biggest sampler tray EVER (25 beers) so I really wanted to try it. However once we sat down, me and my party weren't sure right away. The waitress came over, asked what we wanted, we asked a question or 2 and said we just need a minute to decide. Fast forward ten minutes...she still hasn't come back.  On top of that, our table was disgusting, after waiting forever my girlfriend went and asked for a rag to clean it (thinking the bartender would say "oooo let me clean that for you"), but no he handed it to her and she had to clean it herself. FINALLY the male bartender was cleaning up other tables and stopped to say "O do you need anything?" Ummm yes...we would like the 25 beer sampler with 2 oz pours and a pretzel we asked. We then went outside to their beer garden which actually is kind of nice.

-Our pretzel came out and it was a microwaved pretzel I used to eat when I was 12.  Then the beer came...
-Now the sample tray is badass I will give them that, but the beer...25 beers mind you..all weren't very good.  But since I do review everything I will list the beers, and mind you I'm being VERY generous but I find any brewery that makes more than like 10 beers doesn't do a great job (only a few exceptions to that rule):

Polish Potato decent
Booze Hound Brown not bad
Tommy Gun Red alright
Hangman Scotch Nitro gross
Aviator Pale smooth
Exectuioner Scotch Ale not bad had a chocolate coffee taste
Smugglers Hazelnut Stout tasted like watered down stout
Expresso Booze Hound Brown decent..peppery taste
Peppercorn Porter Nitro eh
Cement Shoes Stout watery
Gangster IPA decent
9am Hazelnut IPA decent
Belgium Double it was like a cider, decent
Dark Porter not bad
Hot Dog Ale (YES a hot dog beer, it was gross)
Pickle Ale(YES a pickle beer, it tasted and smells like dill I won't lie it wasn't bad I was shocked)
Trigger Man IPA decent
Chocolate Rye good
Kolson Rice decent
Sparkling Cider sour and just eh
Dark Rice eh
Bubble Gum Ale smells and tasted like bubble gum, so depends if you're a bubble gum fan, I'm not
-My girlfriend ended this trip with buying me a glass and nicely asking if they had stickers or coasters (since she knows I collect them) and the girl basically laughed and said "stickers? Why would we have stickers? No we don't have stickers...". Like REALLY? You have a medal door right behind you covered in stickers from some of the best breweries around but you are confused and shocked that a customer asked for a sticker from YOUR brewery?
-After speaking with locals, workers at other breweries,  we basically found out the owners wife left him, the workers hate their jobs, the brewers left and they hired new ones (who can't brew), basically the place is a dump.  I HIGHLY recommend do not give a penny to this place. The ONLY saving grace they had was their mason jar glass they sell..if not for that I would give this place 0 out of 100. I'm not even posting their website on here..if you'd like to actually suffer at this place then feel free to Google them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment